Poem: Sailor's hymn

Life's path may get stormy, but there's always hope in heaven.  Written by George W Bethune.



Sailor's hymn


Toss'd upon life's raging billow,
Sweet it is, O Lord, to know
Thou hast press'd a sailor's pillow,
And canst feel a sailor's woe;
Never slumbering, never sleeping,
Though the night be dark and drear,
Thou the faithful watch art keeping--
"All, all's well!" Thy constant cheer.

And though loud the wind is howling,
Fierce though flash the lightnings red,
Darkly though the storm-cloud's scowling
O'er the sailor's anxious head,
Thou canst calm the raging ocean,
All its noise and tumult still,
Hush the billow's wild commotion,
At the bidding of Thy will.

Thus my heart the hope will cherish,
While to heaven I lift up mine eye,
Thou wilt save me ere I perish,
Thou wilt hear me when I cry;
And, though mast and sail be riven,
Life's short voyage will soon be o'er;
Safely moor'd in heaven's wide haven,
Storms and tempests vex no more.



No comments:

Post a Comment